Monday, April 28, 2008

The low-down on the grades...literally...

This semester is finally winding down to a close and it can't come along any sooner for me. This was one of the worst semesters for me grade-wise since first starting college back in the fall of 1999. The combination of being overworked with two jobs, grading papers for three classes, volunteering with the church and battling with my stupid piece of crap computer really hurt my ability to focus on actual school work.

Even with all that trouble, I was able to secure an A in my GNED class (if I didn't get an A in that class, I'd need to get smacked with the stupid stick). GNED is already over and my other relatively easy class, Creation Studies, is over as well. I only need to pass my final exam in creation studies with a 77% in order to secure an A in that class. Likewise, I only need an 87.28% on my Old Testament survey final in order to be sure of an A there.

That is the good news. Now, on to the bad stuff. I've completely written off calculus...at least when it comes to making an A. It is impossible at this point. The state of my grade in that class is so bad that if I pass with a C, you will see me on the 6:00 news being arrested for dancing naked in the streets of Lynchburg.

Due to a mid-semester exam disaster in zoology, I do not have any room for error on my two final exams in that class. In order to get an A in zoology, my upcoming lab practical will need a grade of at least 94% and my final lecture exam next week will need the same. The lab practical is do-able, but the lecture exam is a bit disconcerting because the highest grade I've made on any lecture exam to date is a 92%. This class is noteably more difficult than the majority of the college courses I've taken thus far, but it is still a lower level course, so a minimum grade of A should be expected of anyone desiring to go into graduate school for marine biology. Put another way, if I can't make an A in a 200 level zoology class, I might as well just cut my losses and apply for a custodial position at SeaWorld because that will be the closest I'll get to becoming a marine biologist.

And just think, this is my last easy semester...from here on out, it's going to be as easy as performing an appendectomy...on yourself!

1 comment:

Glendora said...

David I will be praying for you.
Put your self in God's hands and
do your best I am proud of you for
hanging in there when the going is
so very difficult. I am looking
forword to seeing you over the
summer